Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Busy busy busy

People must be leaving big animal bones around our house as gifts for the dogs or something. Every time the dogs go out they manage to find a new bone (femur, shoulder blade, etc). Moose doesn't complain.

We took the dogs out to mush again... except no skis this time. Instead they were hooked up to a sled and pulled Rachel across the lake as Megan and I skied. I think everyone had a blast. If you have facebook, I posted videos of the sledding and skiing(I wiped out going down hill and did a number on my body).

I wanted to let you see some picture of the steam house and steam (maqi)!!! We went again last weekend with Sheila at her in-law's house. Her mother in law, daughter and niece joined us for part of the steam.
This is a picture of the steam house from the outside.

Here we are in the entry way before the steam- this is the area you sit to cool and dry off.

Below is the stove and the HOT area you sit in for the steam. That's right, all of us fit on the little platform Michele and I are standing on for the picture.

Here we all are after the steam! Notice the red skin and little burn scars on Garnet's arm... it's kind of like sitting on the beach... but not quite.

I traveled with the HS boys to Quinhagak for their district tournament. We played the first game against Quin and STARTED the game with a Technical before the game even began! The basketball got stuck between the rim and the backboard and one of the boys jumped & held onto the net to get the ball down. The ref came over and said we were starting the game with a technical. A few minutes into the game we almost got another technical because one of the boys wore a different uniform than his usual and therefore the number wasn't what we had put on the roster. The boys played a great game though. They led the game the first 3 quarters and the 4th quarter the score was very close. So close that they tied and went into overtime. During overtime one of our best scorers fouled out and we only 5 kids left- just enough to be on the court. We then went into double overtime and our other 2 scorers fouled out. Not good. We were playing with 3 boys v.s. 5 and all or our scorers were on the bench. The boys played hard but ended up losing the game. This was Quinhagak's first win in 14 years!!!!! Quinhagak is a lot closer to the mountains that I often take pictures of out my classroom window. I tried to take pictures but it's even prettier in person.

This is a picture of the parking lot at the district tournament. Yes, Quinahagak actually has roads.

Last week there was a murder in Kong. I won't go into detail but it was hard on the whole village. Everyone is safe now. The man murdered was involved in the school and different projects going on. We have his funeral tomorrow so there is only a half day of school. I thought you may be interested in seeing the state trooper airplane. Out here we have one VPO(village police officer) and a VPSO(Village Police State Officer). When something happens they are the ones called because they live here. In this case, an emergency, they needed backup and called on other people in the village to help out. The incident happened at about 11:00 PM from what I understand and the state troopers didn't make it to Kong until about 10:00 AM the next morning (the plane was barely able to land due to fog). Here was my view of the plane from my classroom.

Here is a picture of Moose's cut :( I think I'm taking him to the vet this weekend in Bethel because after e-mailing the vet a picture, he is concerned and wants to see Moose.

No comments:

Post a Comment