Thursday, October 22, 2009

SNOW HAS ARRIVED!!! 2 days ago we had water… yesterday all water turned to ice… Today, we have snow and wind and oh wow is it cold!

Lucky for her, my mom flew out of Kong yesterday. We had a TON of fun while she was here. She arrived last Thursday and was greeted at the airport by a local teacher saying “Welcome to Kong!” After a quick tour of the school and house- I left Mom and Moose then headed back to class. Friday and Saturday were consumed with the NYO (Native Youth Olympics) meet. All of the events were sooo cool to watch. Some of the events were the Eskimo Stick Pull, Indian Stick Pull, Wrist Carry, One-Hand Reach, Kneel Jump, Seal Hop, Alaskan High Kick, Toe Kick, One Foot High Kick, Two Foot High Kick….. I think I got most of the events and I THINK I got the names right. Ganet and I were score keepers/judges and our moms worked in the kitchen/watched the meet. The Junior High team came in 1st Place!!!



This was the Tommy Phillip Invitational—Tommy is the man on the right in the above picture—he used to be AWESOME at the Wrist Carry and is well known throughout the district. A couple of days ago I watched him to the Toe Kick—still good at it!
We stayed busy besides just working at the NYO meet. Mom and I took Moose on a couple of long walks. We went to the graveyard as well as to the new school.

(In the picture above… the school’s water pipes are on the left and the new school is off to the right. It will be a mile walk! The 2 minute walk to school is more than enough in the wind and snow right now!)

(Mom, Moose and a pretty sunset)

Not only did we go on far walks, but we also got to walk to the Lagoon for our weekly Sunday Honey Bucket Dump!

Garnet, Me, Rachel
Weeko (Garnet’s new puppy!), Moose, Midnight
Our 3 Honey Buckets

Mom posing at the Lagoon and Garnet doing her dumping job

Along with working and walking, we also managed to do some shopping. My mom went to the village stores every day (except Sunday because they are closed on Sunday) and we went to Sadie’s house because she makes some really cool things. Sadie also showed us some of the Devil Fish they recently caught.

My mom came at the perfect time because she ALSO got to go to her FIRST THROW PARTY! (we don't know what they were celebrating but still had fun... and froze)

I think my mom was surprised to see how busy we manage to stay here. It was a little difficult for her to adjust to Alaska time as well. Not the time zone thing... the "We plan to meet in 15 minutes but really everyone is ready in 2 hours..." She managed to teach Moose some new tricks too! He now knows how to sit, lay down, shake and dance. He can now be trusted at home alone for short periods of time and he doesn’t have to sleep in his kennel at night ☺ When I left for school he enjoyed taking my spot on the couch…

The picture below is from the day before my mom left. She left on a REALLY cold day when everything was starting to freeze. The wind chill was already below zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment