Sunday, September 12, 2010

Life in Kong, 4 Wheeler Adventure and a Rescue Mission

SOooooo this blog consists of a few random events. Sorry if it skips around too much... if I felt like typing more I would make it flow better but I have been working on it for 2 hours and I am ready to go home! My next blog will include pictures of the XC meet in Toksook Bay and here in Kong.


These are some pictures from when I was headed to Kong in August. Garnet and I met in Anchorage and traveled to Bethel together from there. We stayed at Megan's condo in Anchorage and called a cab to the airport in the morning. I warned the cab company that we had A LOT of stuff so they sent a big van. We repacked the van trying to fit all of our stuff so many times. The cab driver was going to call another van in and I said, "Where there is a will there is a way. If we wait for another cab we will be late!" SOMEHOW we managed to cram everything in and I was smooshed against the door of the van BUT we made it to the airport with time to spare. Here is our awesome packing job...

This is a picture of all of our stuff at the airport... 3 dogs, 4 suit cases, a box, a cooler and 2 people. Still hard to believe we managed to cram everything into one van!


Our friend Bernie had a throw party for her son who shot his first birds!

Rachel caught one of the birds that the little boy had shot. Her and Michele were so excited!


Eddie made it to Kong! Eddie is Michele's fiance-- he is uncomfortable with dogs but starting to form a friendship with Moose.

Moose is friends with anyone-any shape or size. He whips this little puppy around while they play and the puppy pins him down somehow!


Our new ride finally came in! We named her 'Sassy' I wanted to name her little beast but the others voted Sassy. It fits though :)


On Saturday Sheila called me while I was working at school and invited Garnet, Rachel, and I to join her on a 4-wheeler trip towards the Bering Sea. It was such a beautiful day and a new adventure- how could we resist?! We ended up going all the way to the ocean. Rachel fished at the mouth of the river while the rest of us went berry picking. Sheila had never gone that far by herself and wasn't sure if she new the trails... but we made it to and from with only a few minor mix-ups! It was SUCH A FUN day! You wouldn't believe the mud/water that those 4-wheelers can get through! I took a lot of pictures so get excited! None of the pictures show exactly how it looks/feels in person- you just have to come visit to experience it! It took a little over an hour to get there and an hour to get back.
On our trip we took a break near somebody's summer fish camp out on the tundra next to the river.

Here are lots of pretty pictures from my day out on the tundra. It was absolutely beautiful weather! I didn't even wear a jacket outside!







This is a picture of Sheila and Garnet berry picking near the fish camp.

Just another one of the MANY mini lakes out on the tundra...

This cute lil guy was out with him mom fishing with Rachel.

Sheila Berry Picking...

View of Kong!

One of the students stopped by to give Rachel some bait because she had none.

Edge of the mouth of the river- so pretty!

This little boy stopped by with his sister who gave Rachel the bait. They came by boat.

This was a boat out fishing by the mouth of the river-- so many people were out because it was such a beautiful day!!!

Rachel finally caught herself a fish!

A few of the students who met up with us-- they had the bait for Rachel

Sun was starting to set (this was around 8:30-9:00) --it was our cue to head back to Kong since we didn't know the trail!

Here is a view of Kong from the Bering Sea

Below is the Bering Sea-- hard to tell because the tide was out but you can see the mud and the water is in the distance.

Sheila and Rachel on the way home-- Bering sea to the right

Almost home so we had to stop to pick berries-- the berries by the ocean were gone because the birds ate them all. The closer you get to the village though, the more berries you find.

I mainly picked cranberries- Sheila is going to make a jam-- this is the bucket and berry picker I used


On the way home Sheila's 4-wheeler got stuck twice. Garnet and I went to help pull her out the first time and I sank in the 'muck' past my knees! Gross but a lot of fun!



A few weeks ago Garnet and I had to go to Bethel for a 2nd year teacher inservice. We left Friday after school. Everything was going as planned- we loaded onto the plan and headed down the runway getting ready to take off. We got about half way down the runway- about to the point where you start to head up- and a flock of seagulls sprang up in front of the plane! Our plane hit two of them so the pilot had to hit the breaks and go back to the drop-off area to check the plane. When one of these small planes hits a bird it could cause serious damage therefore they are supposed to have a mechanic come out to check the plane before it can leave the ground. The pilot turned around and said, "We may as well introduce ourselves now- this could take a while." About an hour later a 'rescue' plane as they called it showed up with a mechanic to fix the other plan and to take us to Bethel. Garnet and I made it safe and sound.. just a few hours later than expected. Below is a picture of Tommy, our Grant Aviation agent, after he rode down the runway to pick up the dead birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment