THESE pictures are from the first night- my first walrus (well... that I saw butchered in front of me at least)
It was a BEAUTIFUL sunset of course here in Alaska!
Here are the men pulling in their catch... they are pulling it here with two 4-wheelers to find good ground for slicing.
Here are the men that worked so hard to bring it in!
Teachers came to see the walrus- we were all so excited! Welllll most of us at least!
bloody foam coming from the mouth??
First slice of the night...
High Five! I wish you could see better the size difference but pictures just don't do it justice!
THESE pictures are from the second walrus.
This was such a graphic site that I just had to take a picture! I walked over for a picture of the walrus head and saw a knife sticking out of it. Of course I had to pose for a picture and noticed to my left some locals cracking up laughing as I held this knife in the head :/

Feel sorta bad for the poor fella...
The guys put hooks into the body of the walrus and they all work together to pull it one direction. While they are pulling it to one side, guys on the other side cut to separate the skin/blubber from the meat.
Why do you think he is smiling so big?!?! :)
So this little guy was showing me the clams! When they butcher the walrus, there are clams inside the stomach. Since the walrus is so warm inside, it actually cooks the clams! The clams are typically given to elders after a walrus is cut up.
Good walrus ;)

Last but not least, these pictures are from our field trip!
Again, pulling with the hooks...
She was chewing 'eskimo gum' and asked if I wanted to try...
So of course I said yes! Eskimo gum is actually the heart valve! The texture reminds me of cartlidge and when you chew it up it sorta breaks down... I didn't gag but I did eventually spit it out-- got tired of chewing on something that tasted like blood.
Below is part of the group of kids who went to see the walrus. Miserable weather but really an awesome experience- we all had so much fun!
While the men were all working on the walrus, the snow they were standing in got too bloody and muddy. They decided we needed to move the walrus to a better spot. They cut holes in the skin of the walrus and circled it ready to pull (as you can see below). They counted to three and all the men and boys there pulled but the thing didn't budge! I COULDN'T believe it! They had already taken off the flippers and a lot of the meat! Everyone who was there had to help the next time they pulled (which is why I don't have any pictures). It was really cool though because EVERY person there grabbed a spot on the ropes and pulled on the count of three. We began pulling it over to the new spot when one of the students fell down and she was right in the front middle of the walrus. Not everyone saw her fall and kept pulling and it actually was pulled on top of her feet and shins! She was scrambling to get up before it covered her and just started laughing once everyone stopped-- it was hilarious!
Another group photo as Patrick and I and some of the kids were chewing on heart valve... yum. I thought Pat may toss his cookies!
No comments:
Post a Comment