COLLEEN CAME TO KONG!! We flew from Indianapolis to Chicago to Anchorage and spent a day in Anchorage. The next morning we flew into Bethel and got weathered there for about 6 hours due to freezing rain in Kong. LUCKILY Chris picked us up at Alaska Air and took us all (Garnet and her sisters joined) on a little tour of Bethel, Alaska. We went on a drive around town and then to see the bunkers from the Cold War. He even managed to get us up in the air control tower. We had a sushi lunch and waited around for the call that planes would fly to Kong. Colleen flew out on her first small plane (she got a caravan on the way to Kong so it wasn't the smallest but on her way out of Kong she did get to ride in a little 207). When we got in we all just chilled out the first night and had some friends over (Margaret!). The next day Colleen experienced her first Slavik and I took her on a tour of Kong (she took most of the pictures while she was in town so sadly I don't have many to post... maybe she will share so I can post them).


Kong from above...

Margaret, Me, Dolly and Alexie at Slaviq

SO GLAD SHE CAME!

He's a goober...

We had fun...

When Colleen was in town we took a trip to the old school so she could compare what we used to have and what we have now! WOW was the old school a mess! Pipes froze so the entry way of the school is just pure ice. There was also a lot of junk left behind and some kids broke into the school and vandalized it a little bit back in November. As you can see in the pictures... the place is a mess...





On Colleen's last day in Kong we were invited to Liz and Margaret's house for Caribou Soup- SO DELICIOUS! After that Bertha had us over for Fried Bread, Salmon Cassarole, Akutaq and a STEAM! Colleen experienced her first Alaskan Steam! She was quite the trooper on this trip and I think she got to experience most of the ways of life in bush Alaska (including a honey bucket because out toilet still wasn't working)!
Loved, loved, LOVED visiting you in KONG!!! Definitely one of my favorite vacations ever. I had SO MUCH fun!!! I don't think my visits to Alaska are over...I'm already itching to go back! Love and Miss ya! -Colleen
ReplyDelete