Saturday, September 12, 2009

GO WOLVERINES!


We had out 2nd/LAST meet this weekend at Toksook Bay! It was BEAUTIFUL there! I brought ten kids again (4 girls and 6 boys). They were such a great group to travel with. We left Kong at about 3:30 and arrived to Nelson Island at 4:30.

A 4-wheeler picked us up at the Toksook runway and brought us to the school.

After settling into the classrooms our first stop was the store- most important stop for the kids! We went to two stores first and after dinner went to one store AGAIN

We also took a walk along the coast- gorgeous is all I can say- the pictures show it all...




The kids played basketball in the gym until THEY decided they were tired (I know, amazing right- I didn't even have to make them go to bed!) We got up this morning, had a pancake breakfast, walked the course and then the kids ran.


Toksook Bay has hills/mini mountains where as Kong is FLAT. I tried to condition the kids for hills by running stairs every day. The Junior High Course was only 1.5 miles... it went up a hill and then back down. My top JH male came in 4th and female in 2nd! There was much more competition here this weekend and considering the difficult course- they did pretty well. (I was NOT HAPPY to see some of my girls WALKING however....)
The Highschool kids had to run a 5K on THE MOST DIFFICULT COURSE I have ever seen!!!! We walked the course this morning and it was ridiculous. You begin by walking up the JH course... then continuing on a 'barely there' path through the tundra. This path went down a hill then up a 'mountain'.

Once you got to the top of that 'mountain' you went down a hill...

and continued up another 'mountain'. At the top was a BEAUTIFUL view and the kids ran along a ridge for a few minutes...

...then down a HUGE HILL on the tundra- SO FUN!

There were parts of this course that went straight down ravines (without a path... it was like running down the side of a cliff) with water at the bottom. The course constantly went up and down... so exhausting just walking/jogging it with the kids. I really worried about my HS runner for this course because of its difficulty but he finished in 3rd place!!!!! (so close to getting second!) I was so excited for a great end of the season. They were a great group to coach.

Our group was scheduled to have the first flight out but we were the last to leave. Because we were flying with two smaller planes and there was fog, we almost didn't get to leave.

Since the Kong airport is closed for construction on Sundays... that would mean I'd be with ten kids in a different village until Monday. Luckily- the fog lifted and I am back! :O)
Garnet watched Moose while I was gone- he still has worms :( I have a few guesses as to how he got these worms: 1).He eats dirt... a lot. If we go outside he comes in with a mouthful of dirt. 2). He ate the dead goose head that was sitting outside my house for a few days (the kids set it there after I asked them not to... imagine that...) 3). He drinks nasty muddy water when we go on walks. His meds should be here any day.

Life in Alaska quote of the day:
Rachel: "I have a rotten moose in my trash can"
Me: "MOOSE, get out of there!"
Rachel: "No, really, it is dead moose meat"

No comments:

Post a Comment