After I used my Wendy's grill skills to make burgers for Rachel, Garnet, and I- a student knocked and invited us to go fishing. Garnet has been sick this week so she stayed back with the dogs but Rachel and I put on our boots and coats then headed out. I figured we would have to hike through the tundra to get there but it turns out that there is actually ANOTHER boardwalk I did not know about! Pretty exciting stuff, I know! 3 girls ended up walking to the river with us to go fishing.
(They used bird stomach as bait... I can't even begin to tell you how horrible that smells)
I did not have a pole so I found a stick and a student made a pole for me :O)
I let her paint my face...
Tide was low therefore we had to climb down closer to the water. The mud just sucked you down in some parts and 2 of us fell...
While we were fishing we saw some boys hunting-- turned out to be 3 of our students! We had quite the crew by this point. The boys were all 13... Eric's age... and they reminded me of him in many ways ;)
When one boy saw a seagull- he lifted his gun and shot it but it landed in the water so we couldn't get to it. The boys kept calling the birds and within a few minutes saw a duck. These kids have GREAT aim! Although he shot the duck it did not die right away :( It too landed in some water but they were still able to get to it.
(Sorry Colleen...)
While J was getting his duck, S saw another Seagull (???) and shot it- it went straight down. The kids were so excited but I was nearly horrified to see them dig right in.
They got the birds together and started tearing them up/digging inside of them. The girls wanted to stomachs for fishing bait and I think the boys were just having fun.
I taped some of this excitement... (I will try to put it on Facebook)... including when they pulled out the heart of the duck and noticed it was still beating. While I was taping the beating, all of a sudden J put it in his mouth!
Apparently it is good luck to swallow the heart of an animal you just caught (I will take my chances with bad luck). Now I know Rachel and I haven't swallowed any hearts... and I am wondering if this is why no one caught any fish yesterday. Although Rachel was nearly devastated and very unhappy about the lack of fish, I had such a GREAT time! They were a fun group of kids and I learned a lot from them. They would tell me something that I thought was gross and follow up with "We are Eskimos, that's what we do!"-- for example one boy asked me if I used to eat my poo when I was little. I quickly followed with, "No, that sounds disgusting-- I can't say that I have ever eaten poo." When I said my hands were cold he suggested I 'piss in my hands'... that's what he does to keep them warm. (they all say piss... boys and girls of all ages). He later ate a chip (which nearly made me sick after watching them tear apart animals) and commented that 'Ew, still smells like piss'!!!!
I am sorry if you are totally disgusted right now- but that was my night and I had a BLAST. We may get to go out on a boat fishing this afternoon-- I'll have to get back to you!
Here are some more pictures from the night...

The sky and its reflection was SO BEAUTIFUL so I had to take a ton of pictures!

PLEASE keep my family, especially my little cousin and my Grandpa, in your prayers!
No comments:
Post a Comment