Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fiddle Free Fiddle Dance


Gallon of Milk= $8.89



Water... which is about 4.99 at home... is 23.99 here!!!! AT LEAST!



On the wobbly boardwalk (over sewage?) heading from the District Office back to my hotel



A raven above Dull Lake



A group of us at the Fiddle Dance


I hear that I need to update my page.... sooooo here goes. I hope I don't bore you... I have been in Bethel since Monday for more training. All 400(?) teachers in the LKSD district (The size of West Virginia) were brought to Bethel for this inservice. This is the first time in about 5 years that they have brought everyone in for an inservice. Not going to lie- I feel like I am sitting through college courses all over again at these inservices- but I have been learning at least.
I have learned some things about Alaska the past two weeks that I have been here- for example... Only in Alaska is the Assistant Superintendent also the chauffer for all employees. Buses and SUV's drive around bethel picking up teachers and dropping them off at the district office. Two days in a row our assistant superintendent picked me up- unexpected but nice. Also... only in Alaska is a there a Fiddle Dance without a fiddle. Last night we had a Fiddle Dance. I expected there to be a fiddle player and some great dancers for us to watch. Turns out there was a band (who didn't have a fiddle) and WE were the dancers. You can probably guess how that turned out for me. A few of us left early and went to the store to check out the outrageous prices. Check flickr for pictures ;)
Today... BIG stuff happened! SARAH PALIN's replacement came to talk (Sean Parnell). I was a little disappointed I didn't get to tell Sarah Palin hi like a lot of you asked me to do... but maybe another time. Tomorrow is an optional technology inservice which my village and a couple other villages have decided to stay for. We went out to eat tonight at a Chinese/Mexican/American restaurant called Shogun. Enough said.
I am supposed to head back to Kongiganak tomorrow- I hope the weather holds up. Some people didn't make it out tonight due to weather (it was cold, windy and rainy today). I get my dog on FRIDAY so I will post pics ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment