--a view of Bethel from above--
--My Silver Salmon... aka DINNER when I get to my village--
--Poor Guy--
--my fishing crew--
HELLO ALL!!!! I know it has been a few days but they have been busy! I am currently in Bethel... arrived Monday evening and I will head to my village tomorrow night (Thursday)!!! All 1st year teachers are currently in Bethel for 'cultural training'. I have met MANY new teachers- very nice! We have had a lot of fun :) Tuesday night we went on a fishing trip which was a blast. Four of us new teachers (Garnet- who will be teaching in my village with me, Mike, Eric and I) were on a boat with Captain Jeff! We traveled by river and slough (spelling?), passed a couple of villages on the way and finally found our spot about 30 minutes later. I caught the first of 2 Silver Salmon which were caught on my boat. It was a big one (for me at least). At about 11:45 PM we were finally floating back to Bethel. Captain Joe cleaned/cut the fish for me and I get to bring it to my village tomorrow! YUMMY! After a long day of training today we had a potluck dinner in which some of the locals made us food. You won't believe it but I got to try my first seal oil (a little bleh but didn't taste it too much) and I ALSO tried MOOSE SOUP! Actually enjoyed the moose soup- just pretended it was beef and it tasted good. We also had an ice cream social (just Chocolate Ice Cream of course) and went to the store to buy some last minute food for my village home. I will post more pictures upon arrival in my village-- and I plan to start a Flickr page on this blog so I can easily put up more pictures. Check back soon- I miss you all!!
No comments:
Post a Comment