View of the tundra while berry picking)
Sorry I haven't blogged in so long!!! It has been a busy week! 2 weeks of teaching down :) Just FYI the cod and geese tasted decent. We cut off the heads and tails of the cod, fried them and ate the skin and meat. As for the geese... we sorta forgot the geese were in the oven. After pouring barbeque on the meat, it wasn't too bad... I would be willing to try it again. Margaret, the school secretary, joined us for dinner. She tried what we made but she also put the cod heads and tails in a pan with water and boiled it for a soup (She typically cooks by boiling everything).
On Friday night Margaret invited us over for Duck Soup. Rachel, Garnet and I walked over to the newer housing section where she lives and along the way I discovered something new about Kongiganak!!!!! YOU CAN SEE MOUNTAINS!!! Rachel and Garnet thought I was an idiot for now knowing this but I really had no idea. They are off in the distance but still really exciting for me! At school on Friday Margaret told me that she had cut the ducks up and had every part ready to cook. Not going to lie, I was freaked out and figured I wouldn't be eating much. When I took a look in the pot at dinner I saw some meat, yellow broth, and a lot of little white things. I freaked out a tad bit and said "O... are those ALLLL the guts?!" (I was totally grossed out and remembered that Margaret typically eats every part of the animal). Turns out, it was just rice! (Margaret was too nice and left the guts out). After dinner Margaret and I went out berry picking until 10:45!! I picked a gallon of berries- Margaret watches where the birds go on the tundra and then tries to head in the same area to find berries.
The sunset was BEAUTIFUL that night as well!
Saturday I slept until 12:40! It felt AMAZING! Garnet, Rachel and I went to the store and each bought a pop and candy bar. My first Dr. Pepper since I have been in Kong- so exciting :) There was also a Throw Party on Saturday to celebrate a wedding. Mary Lou- one of the Kong teachers- was one of the 2 people throwing things because her daughter got married.

(MaryLou is on the right)
Saturday evening I had Rachel, Garnet and Megan over for steak dinner with mashed potatoes and salad. I also made the cake my mom sent me- DELICIOUS! It is now Sunday and we have finished the cake- whoops.
Today I slept in until noon again :) Spent about 3 hours making bread- turned out a little better this time. Rachel, Garnet and I dumped our honey buckets... I take that back, Garnet dumped Rachel's for her because the first time she tried dumping the wind picked up and blew all over her and she got sick- DISGUSTING. Well my experience today wasn't much better... as I was dumping I suddenly felt a mist on my face. I tell myself it was water but I am pretty sure I know what it was :< From now on I will buy Garnet a pop and candy bar in exchange for dumping my honey bucket.


(Garnet pulling the honey buckets and dumping one..... ewwwww)
MOOSE AND I

(Moose is trying really hard to make friends... so far his BFF is Rachel's cat- Peter)
Garnet is a HERO! She knows how to clean a goose AND she will empty your honey bucket?! WOW!
ReplyDeleteI know- seriously- idk what I would do if she wasn't out here!
ReplyDelete