Pretty much sums up my life in Alaska...
Anyone who thought I would be bored out here... it hasn't happened yet... even at 2 AM! Last night I was sitting on the couch watching a movie and working when I heard a knock on the door. I decided to ignore it (it was 2:00 AM.... who would be knocking at that hour). I texted Garnet to make sure it wasn't her needing something- No. Knock again-- I looked out and no one was there. Then the knocking just kept going. Garnet looked down the boardwalk and a group of people by my door so I decided to answer and tell them it was too late and to go home. When I answered I found 3 boys who had just gotten back from the ocean (they were seal hunting) and had fish and birds for me. I decided not to be rude and to accept the gifts. What they handed me were two dead birds (I later found out after Garnet told me they were actually Geese... yea, I'm an idiot...) and 9 cod fish. WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH ALL OF THAT!? I left the birds in my entry room (it is a cold room which separates my outside door to a door leading inside my house...) and put the fish in the fridge. This afternoon Garnet taught me how to get the breasts out of the Geese.
I decided to even try helping- big step for me... made me gag a little but not too bad. I am pretty sure the pictures explain it all.
We had a group of girls standing around watching and 6 village dogs as well.
Never did I think this was what I would spend my Sunday doing! We plan to clean the fish and eat the Geese tomorrow... I think. I'll let you know how that goes.
(After we took the meat out of the geese- the kids wanted to keep some of the parts for their dogs... NOT MOOSE! They also decided to have some fun as you can see... no, this is not me holding the head!
On the BrIgHt SiDe... can I just add that I have the best principal! How many principals make homemade sticky buns in the morning and bring them to school for any teachers to eat as they work on a Sunday?! Mine does:) MmmMMmmmm delicious- and I got the leftovers!
No comments:
Post a Comment